Early Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Stones

Nothing in particular going on here on the " bored" this afternoon, this is kind of fun. Grab an adult beverage or something else to enhance your sensors, kick back and enjoy

https://youtu.be/QHjlnn8lKqk

My wife was at that show. They locked the doors of the Santa Monica Civic so nobody could leave during the filming. She was grounded when she got home. I was damn impressed when she told me that. Still am.

Comment

Originally posted by stynger View Post
      My wife was at that show. They locked the doors of the Santa Monica Civic so nobody could leave during the filming. She was grounded when she got home. I was damn impressed when she told me that. Still am.
      Sounds like a keeper!

Comment

The Stones were good. But nothing like the Godfather, who was incendiary. I've read somewhere that he might have considered it his best performance.

https://youtu.be/6-E0X2JxCs4

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post
          The Stones were good. But nothing like the Godfather, who was incendiary. I've read somewhere that he might have considered it his best performance.

https://youtu.be/6-E0X2JxCs4
          Oh I agree with your comparison. So much of life is about context. That is why I just posted that short segment of the stones. I saw the show in a theatre when it was first released and I have a dvd of it. I wish that I had been fortunate enough like styngers wife to have seen it live. In all of it's manifestations the stones come up short in an objective comparison to Mr. Brown. Even Keith Richards's and Mick are quoted saying that being talked into following James Brown was "the biggest mistake of our lives" (I presume they mean up until that time...a couple of other mistakes came along later....but I digress). I posted it because I find it, when viewed alone, not in the collective show format, to be a very fun performance. They are young and cute, not battle-worn. Charlie is magnificent, Bill and Brian have their spotlights and Mick is Mick. Then there is the rush of dancers crowding the stage in the finale. Just trying to identify all of the icons is a joy and a task of itself. I going to have to watch it again now that you got me into doing all of the reflecting!

And stynger, your wife is fortunate in two ways. Number one she got to see the show live with all of that talent and number two she is old enough to have had parents that were in an era that was coming to an end where the parents could correct their children and offer guidance. Today they would be ashamed and probably jailed for such an act. "Grounded" OMG!! The horror.
          Last edited by 20/20; 06-22-2022, 02:40 PM. Reason: time ran out.

Comment

Thanks for these.

Mick should have used the chance to pick up some moves

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Oh I agree with your comparison. So much of life is about context. That is why I just posted that short segment of the stones. I saw the show in a theatre when it was first released and I have a dvd of it. I wish that I had been fortunate enough like styngers wife to have seen it live. In all of it's manifestations the stones come up short in an objective comparison to Mr. Brown. Even Keith Richards's and Mick are quoted saying that being talked into following James Brown was "the biggest mistake of our lives" (I presume they mean up until that time...a couple of other mistakes came along later....but I digress). I posted it because I find it, when viewed alone, not in the collective show format, to be a very fun performance. They are young and cute, not battle-worn. Charlie is magnificent, Bill and Brian have their spotlights and Mick is Mick. Then there is the rush of dancers crowding the stage in the finale. Just trying to identify all of the icons is a joy and a task of itself. I going to have to watch it again now that you got me into doing all of the reflecting!

And stynger, your wife is fortunate in two ways. Number one she got to see the show live with all of that talent and number two she is old enough to have had parents that were in an era that was coming to an end where the parents could correct their children and offer guidance. Today they would be ashamed and probably jailed for such an act. "Grounded" OMG!! The horror.
              I too saw it in theaters back in the day. And have done some deep diving into the history of it. My understanding, despite the mythos, is that the show was filmed over two days with two different audiences. That the Stones and Brown performed on different days. Of course, I could be wrong. Whatever, at a time when the only chance to see our R & R faves were the occasional TV appearance, lip syncing a lot of the time, or Alan Freed's movies, this was a breakthrough. I'll end with a bit of trivia, in light of Elvis movie coming out this week. The same fellow who produced TAMI Show, produced Elvis '68 comeback special.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

I too saw it in theaters back in the day. And have done some deep diving into the history of it. My understanding, despite the mythos, is that the show was filmed over two days with two different audiences. That the Stones and Brown performed on different days. Of course, I could be wrong. Whatever, at a time when the only chance to see our R & R faves were the occasional TV appearance, lip syncing a lot of the time, or Alan Freed's movies, this was a breakthrough. I'll end with a bit of trivia, in light of Elvis movie coming out this week. The same fellow who produced TAMI Show, produced Elvis '68 comeback special.
                I think I read that the Stones did follow the Godfather on the same day with a three hour delay between Brown's performance and theirs. It was damn sure a learning experience for Mick, and he did learn. Notice Brian Jones' response when the line of go-go dancers come prancing out behind the band on the Stones' last song. They didn't know that was going to happen, but when Brian sees the lineup, he seems pleasantly surprised. I like all the music and performances in that landmark film, including the cheesy sixties pop stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I think I read that the Stones did follow the Godfather on the same day with a three hour delay between Brown's performance and theirs. It was damn sure a learning experience for Mick, and he did learn. Notice Brian Jones' response when the line of go-go dancers come prancing out behind the band on the Stones' last song. They didn't know that was going to happen, but when Brian sees the lineup, he seems pleasantly surprised. I like all the music and performances in that landmark film, including the cheesy sixties pop stuff.
                  That could very well be it. I know the show was filmed over two days with at least two different audiences. And that James Brown wanted to make sure his performance was remembered,.

Comment

One other thing I remember, or think I remember (1964 was a long time ago). I think I recall that when I first saw it in the theater, the last act in the movie was Lesley Gore. And I thought, "She was the headliner over those other acts???" But it's all very hazy through the smoke rings of my mind.

Comment

Now I am concerned as to whether either of you two are to be trusted? Just two old Geezers carrying on. I need to get in touch with stynger's wife.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
                        Now I am concerned as to whether either of you two are to be trusted? Just two old Geezers carrying on. I need to get in touch with stynger's wife.
                        :-) Old geezer? Guilty as charged. But I did see the movie in a theater in '64. And seem to remember watching it online ten, fifteen years ago. I can be trusted. My memory? Not so much.

Comment

I have or had the VHS. Someone can explain that to the youngsters. I saw it in the theaters as a kid. I liked the Stones but James stole the show with his cape and inability to leave the stage routine. Lesley is sweet, but The Ronnettes with their high hair and sexy little bye bye wave sent my early adolescent imagination into overdrive. They sounded great, too.

Comment

Either of you old geezers ever happen to watch the Steve Allen show on TV?

Comment

So let me address a couple of comments above. There were two shows over two nights. My wife Michelle went to school at Santa Monica High School across the street from the Civic Center. The school had a open campus so she and her friend went across the street to check out what was going on. She met Moulty the drummer of the Barbarians and he gave her the lowdown on the show and gave her tickets. She was at the first show. She couldn’t go to night two because she got grounded. I can assure you The Godfather and The Stones played on the same night. Michelle hated James Brown’s performance mainly because she wanted to see The Stones and it was getting later and later. You can imagine what she thought of his cape routine. Me telling her that might be the most iconic JB performance ever didn’t change her reaction to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X