Early Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
    Either of you old geezers ever happen to watch the Steve Allen show on TV?
    Yep. When I could. My parents didn't like me staying up late. I think he had a prime time thing on once that included Don Knotts ("Are you nervous?" "NOPE") and Tom Position as a guy who couldn't remember his name. He had Elvis, Jerry Lee, jazz artists and Kerouac on his shows and played with the medium the way his colleague Ernie Kovacs did and Letterman did later. Much more innovative than Carson or Parr.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Yep. When I could. My parents didn't like me staying up late. I think he had a prime time thing on once that included Don Knotts ("Are you nervous?" "NOPE") and Tom Position as a guy who couldn't remember his name. He had Elvis, Jerry Lee, jazz artists and Kerouac on his shows and played with the medium the way his colleague Ernie Kovacs did and Letterman did later. Much more innovative than Carson or Parr.
      Exactly! Good memory. It was a very good show. Innovative and very funny. Great set of actors and comedians. The original show that is. Network moved it to Sundays to combat Ed Sullivan and made it a variety show. Lost it’s panache.

Comment

Frank Zappa was also a guest.

https://youtu.be/HYmf1qLMVxk

Comment

Either of you old geezers ever happen to watch the Steve Allen show on TV?
          Very interesting, that question. Baz Luhrman uses Elvis's appearance on the Allen show as a pivot point in his biopic. Allen, my opinion, was always very dismissive and derisive of rock & roll. That appearance came up last night, after I had the pleasure of attending the movie with one of the world's foremost Elvis authorities, and Col Parker's biographer, Alanna Nash, a long time friend here in Louisville. We talked about the scene in the movie. I did not see Elvis on Allen's show, but have seen the videos. I do recall watching Allen when he and somebody else read the lyrics to "Be Bop A Lula" while making fun of what they considered the stupidity in their minds.

Comment

He also had a variety show like Ed Sullivan's, either before or after his pre-Jack Parr gig. That's what I remember watching. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

Very interesting, that question. Baz Luhrman uses Elvis's appearance on the Allen show as a pivot point in his biopic. Allen, my opinion, was always very dismissive and derisive of rock & roll. That appearance came up last night, after I had the pleasure of attending the movie with one of the world's foremost Elvis authorities, and Col Parker's biographer, Alanna Nash, a long time friend here in Louisville. We talked about the scene in the movie. I did not see Elvis on Allen's show, but have seen the videos. I do recall watching Allen when he and somebody else read the lyrics to "Be Bop A Lula" while making fun of what they considered the stupidity in their minds.
              Allen did however seem to be fond of Jerry Lee Lewis, probably because of Lewis’s undeniable piano skills. Carson hated rock and roll and didn’t want it on his show. It took David Letterman to really make rock and roll a mainstay of late night programming. Credit also has to be given to Dick Cavett for having Hendrix and other sixties icons occasionally on his show.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfester View Post

Very interesting, that question. Baz Luhrman uses Elvis's appearance on the Allen show as a pivot point in his biopic. Allen, my opinion, was always very dismissive and derisive of rock & roll. That appearance came up last night, after I had the pleasure of attending the movie with one of the world's foremost Elvis authorities, and Col Parker's biographer, Alanna Nash, a long time friend here in Louisville. We talked about the scene in the movie...
                I wasn't planning on seeing the movie but I'm curious if they went into any detail of Col Parker before Elvis. His alleged scams while running the Tampa Humane Society are interesting.
                https://www.tampabay.com/features/hu...uch_170125524/

Comment

Originally posted by Headless Hornman View Post

I wasn't planning on seeing the movie but I'm curious if they went into any detail of Col Parker before Elvis. His alleged scams while running the Tampa Humane Society are interesting.
                  https://www.tampabay.com/features/hu...uch_170125524/
                  No, they did not. If you haven't read Alanna's book, and are interested in this stuff, it's well worth it. She dives deep, and has an interesting theory on why he scurried from the Netherlands to the US. For more, here's a gratuitous plug, I'll be on the radio this afternoon (Fri 6/24 at 5:00 EDT), discussing the movie and Elvis with her. Streaming at wfpk.org.

Comment

My how times have changed. Or have they?

https://youtu.be/MsLOETZBTTE

As I listen to the lyrics I have to wonder. Are we back where we began?

Comment

My how times have changed. Or have they?

https://youtu.be/MsLOETZBTTE

As I listen to the lyrics I have to wonder. Are we back where we began?
                      I'll leave the sociological speculation alone, but damn! They sure do sound great. To my ears, that's rock and roll!

Comment

Working...
                      X