Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Mixed bag there of course.

Some great stuff in there and some artist names and songs that I have not heard or thought about for a long time.
    In the mid seventies to very early eighties, music, for me, got really interesting again. I was getting tired of that slick, cocaine by the poolside west coast sound that seemed, along with disco, to be the dominant trend at the time. Punk shook things up, but a lot of that, especially in the US, seemed like bullshit to me, The Ramones and a few others being the exceptions. The better players from that era got christened "New Wave" and we got some great stuff like The Talking Heads, The Pretenders and Television. Localities had their own club scenes going on and bands started breaking out of prescribed formats. Consider Athens, GA, with REM, Hydra, B52s and Love Tractor (if you're unaware of them, check them out). On Lord Horror's side of the pond, Rockpile and pub rock resurged and things were looking up. Then came MTV and everything went to shit, except for the mid size music venues in some cities where the likes of NRBQ, the touring New Orleans and Texas acts along with what were once considered "second tier" Jazz Fest bands flourished.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

In the mid seventies to very early eighties, music, for me, got really interesting again. I was getting tired of that slick, cocaine by the poolside .
      We all have our own tastes and pleasures. "cocaine by the poolside" is fine with me. Wish that I still had some "friends". Beautiful night here on the ocean. That would make it even better!

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

We all have our own tastes and pleasures. "cocaine by the poolside" is fine with me. Wish that I still had some "friends". Beautiful night here on the ocean. That would make it even better!
        Lots of things I'd rather have than "cocaine by the poolside". I'd rather have a beautiful night by the NC ocean. Enjoy it.

Comment

In the mid seventies to very early eighties, music, for me, got really interesting again. I was getting tired of that slick, cocaine by the poolside west coast sound that seemed, along with disco, to be the dominant trend at the time. Punk shook things up, but a lot of that, especially in the US, seemed like bullshit to me, The Ramones and a few others being the exceptions. The better players from that era got christened "New Wave" and we got some great stuff like The Talking Heads, The Pretenders and Television. Localities had their own club scenes going on and bands started breaking out of prescribed formats. Consider Athens, GA, with REM, Hydra, B52s and Love Tractor (if you're unaware of them, check them out). On Lord Horror's side of the pond, Rockpile and pub rock resurged and things were looking up. Then came MTV and everything went to shit, except for the mid size music venues in some cities where the likes of NRBQ, the touring New Orleans and Texas acts along with what were once considered "second tier" Jazz Fest bands flourished.
          Some of that time frame down here was when the Rock in The Pubs thing really started breaking out 76 or so onwards.

We saw acts in small settings that went on to bigger and better things, like Men At Work, Midnight Oil, INXS, The Little River Band, The Church, Divinyls etc.
          And even one of 20/20s faves Air Supply.

A bit later it was people like Crowded House, who were called The Mullanes when we saw their first ever gig, the Hoodoo Gurus and Nick Cave etc and many others that have faded with the beer barn memory

Prior to that we had a circuit of local Town Halls etc around Melbourne and luckily enough near us we had a local community center that hosted music once a fortnight on a Saturday.

Where as young teenagers we were lucky enough to see the likes of an unknown AC/DC and other acts that were or became very big down here like Billy Thorpe, Skyhooks and Daddy Cool etc.

We still have an active live music scene in Melbourne, which is just starting to get back on its feet. But venues are becoming scarcer as gentrification turns old pubs near the city in to more bloody apartments. And also new apartments get built next to long term venues and new turds on the block complain about music that has been going on for decades.

Sound familiar?

Comment

Lots of things I'd rather have than "cocaine by the poolside". I'd rather have a beautiful night by the NC ocean. Enjoy it.
            I haven't touched that nasty stuff since the mid 80s. You couldn't pay me to ever do it again. I had some pretty women try but I still said no. I can't imagine how people do it here in the Summer with how humid it is. It must get all caked up. Haha.

We were big fans of and saw live just about all of those bands you mentioned plus from UK XTC, Gang Of Four, Gen X, Wire, PIL, The Slits, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, PFurs, The Damned, Graham Parker, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Siouxsie, Buzzcocks, The Cure, Magazine, Joy Division, US acts Devo, Stray Cats, B-52s, Pere Ubu, X, Modern Lovers, Pretenders (UK&US) and our local NYC based faves Richard Hell, Dolls/David Johansen, James Chance, Bush Tetras, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Mink Deville, Tuff Darts, Robert Gordon, Patti Smith, Suicide and of course Blondie, The Cramps, Television, Ramones and Talking Heads.

Remember another Athens band Pylon?

It was hard to keep up back then but we tried!

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I haven't touched that nasty stuff since the mid 80s. You couldn't pay me to ever do it again. I had some pretty women try but I still said no. I can't imagine how people do it here in the Summer with how humid it is. It must get all caked up. Haha.

We were big fans of and saw live just about all of those bands you mentioned plus from UK XTC, Gang Of Four, Gen X, Wire, PIL, The Slits, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, PFurs, The Damned, Graham Parker, Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Siouxsie, Buzzcocks, The Cure, Magazine, Joy Division, US acts Devo, Stray Cats, B-52s, Pere Ubu, X, Modern Lovers, Pretenders (UK&US) and our local NYC based faves Richard Hell, Dolls/David Johansen, James Chance, Bush Tetras, ESG, Liquid Liquid, Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders, Lizzy Mercier Descloux, Mink Deville, Tuff Darts, Robert Gordon, Patti Smith, Suicide and of course Blondie, The Cramps, Television, Ramones and Talking Heads.

Remember another Athens band Pylon?

It was hard to keep up back then but we tried!
              It was hard to keep up, but a lot of fun to try. Yep, remember Pylon, not Athens based, but The Swimming Pool Cues, Let's Active, Rubber Rodeo and early 10,000 Maniacs spring to mind. We also agree about the Peruvian Marching Powder.

Comment

The best band from Athens was Guadalcanal Diary

Comment

And Old Style is better than cocaine

Comment

Originally posted by jonnygospeltent View Post
                    And Old Style is better than cocaine
                    Got turned on to that at a couple of early Dead shows. Cannot remember the dates or venues. Strong stuff. A bit too much for my tastes.

Comment

You guys are a bunch of wimps. More booger sugar for me and 20/20...with a case of Old Stye.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                        You guys are a bunch of wimps. More booger sugar for me and 20/20...with a case of Old Stye.
                        I had a stye in and around my eye for several weeks recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                          You and I are mature adults. We can enjoy a good time. I do, however, sort of kind of, wish that you not invite our buddy Richard (Pryor) anymore. He can be dangerous.

Comment

Say hello to Justin Townes Earle. I'm sure he'll tap the glass with you.

Comment

Here's a fairly informative article on the the career and life of Al Anderson, focusing on his post Q songwriting days. https://www.mmone.org/al-anderson/?f...1_lvOpvUcTqBZY

Comment

Here's a fairly informative article on the the career and life of Al Anderson, focusing on his post Q songwriting days. https://www.mmone.org/al-anderson/?f...1_lvOpvUcTqBZY
                                Excellent - we have been fans of Al for so long - caught him last in a dive bar in Nashville and had a long conversation between sets - he really loves Santa Fe for its natural beauty and art and spends a good part of each year there now....

Comment

Working...
                                X