Crime in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime in New Orleans

For those of us who enjoy New Orleans and what it has to offer, there is a wonderful article in todays Times-Picayune relating to a joint coalition's efforts to address the surge of violent crime. Nola.com is tricky sometimes in allowing it's articles to be forwarded. I have forgotten the trick and I would ask for swag's help in copying the link to this post. I will copy the headline but need swag to copy the link. It is a very positive article referencing a very positive effort.'

Fed up with violent crime, New Orleans businesses and civic groups launch their own plan

New Orleans is at risk of a "civic death spiral" if something is not done

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
    For those of us who enjoy New Orleans and what it has to offer, there is a wonderful article in todays Times-Picayune relating to a joint coalition's efforts to address the surge of violent crime. Nola.com is tricky sometimes in allowing it's articles to be forwarded. I have forgotten the trick and I would ask for swag's help in copying the link to this post. I will copy the headline but need swag to copy the link. It is a very positive article referencing a very positive effort.'

Fed up with violent crime, New Orleans businesses and civic groups launch their own plan

New Orleans is at risk of a "civic death spiral" if something is not done
    Here's the link, but if you've read much on that site lately, you may find it paywalled.
    https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...87ae8ae21.html

Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

Here's the link, but if you've read much on that site lately, you may find it paywalled.
      https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...87ae8ae21.html
      Just toggle "reader view" in your browser address bar or clean out cookies for that site to read any article.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Just toggle "reader view" in your browser address bar or clean out cookies for that site to read any article.
        I had to look that up.
        https://www.howtogeek.com/423643/how...n-reader-mode/

Comment

Crime is ABSOLUTELY out of control in this city. Got jacked twice last week. Entergy for $500 and just a few days later the Sewer and Water Board took me for $450. I miss the days when I was more afraid of street crime than my mailbox.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
            It works for most paywalls including NY Times, Washington Post etc....Just hit toggle view and refresh page. I actually don't even have to do that on NOLA.com, it always works on my desktop.

Comment

Wow. I've had that icon in Firefox and never knew what it did. Cool beans.

Comment

Another shooting at the Costco. Yesterday, four in the afternoon at the gas pumps, one year old now in critical condition. Frustrating. I sure hope that the newly formed coalition can made some inroads....and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                  Crime is ABSOLUTELY out of control in this city. Got jacked twice last week. Entergy for $500 and just a few days later the Sewer and Water Board took me for $450. I miss the days when I was more afraid of street crime than my mailbox.
                  I see you joined the $500 Club. Great, isn't it...

Comment

Another shooting at the Costco. Yesterday, four in the afternoon at the gas pumps, one year old now in critical condition. Frustrating. I sure hope that the newly formed coalition can made some inroads....and quickly.
                    Not so much a New Orleans problem as an American epidemic, where gun violence is as traditional as apple pie. LA appears fine continuing to elect Senators & Representatives who will see to it that the American tradition continues unabated.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFestLover View Post

Not so much a New Orleans problem as an American epidemic, where gun violence is as traditional as apple pie. LA appears fine continuing to elect Senators & Representatives who will see to it that the American tradition continues unabated.
                      Not certain about the “American tradition “ aspects but that Costco location is my filling station of choice and I certainly want the shooting to be alleviated there.
                      As an addendum, I can somewhat understand the impulses of violence as the lines at a Costco can be tedious.

Comment

Not certain about the “American tradition “ aspects but that Costco location is my filling station of choice and I certainly want the shooting to be alleviated there.
                        As an addendum, I can somewhat understand the impulses of violence as the lines at a Costco can be tedious.
                        Bail was set at $70,000 Wednesday for a New Orleans man accused of leaving his unrestrained toddler brother in the back seat of his car with a stolen gun, before the child was shot and critically wounded outside Costco.

Zyaire Cornelius, 18, told police he was in line at the warehouse store's fuel pumps when he heard the gunshot Tuesday afternoon and turned to see his brother wounded, police said in documents filed in Criminal District Court. The child, who police previously said was 1 year old but has since been confirmed as 2, shot himself in the leg and suffered a "large amount of blood loss," according to the documents.

Comment

These are horrible stories, and sadly here in Chicago it's the same and worse! Downtown, Gold Coast, neighborhoods, expressways, parks--shootings everywhere. Too many guns in the hands of too many idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                            These are horrible stories, and sadly here in Chicago it's the same and worse! Downtown, Gold Coast, neighborhoods, expressways, parks--shootings everywhere. Too many guns in the hands of too many idiots.
                            Chicago also has among the strictest gun control laws in the nation....

Comment

Originally posted by FestJester View Post

Chicago also has among the strictest gun control laws in the nation....
                              Well, that's the pro-gun talking point, but most guns involved in Chicago shootings are obtained in surrounding states with lax requirements or via third-party fraudulent purchases, or by theft from legit owners. Again, too many guns in the wrong hands. How big a pile of bodies is needed to get that idea across? The recent mass shooting in Highland Park, a north suburb, got a lot of media attention, but the daily body count is appalling, and all too often children are the victims because the assholes doing the shooting spray shots around wildly.

Comment

Working...
                              X