Crime in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Plus, it's burned coffee, and y'all can get that crappy flavor more readily and cheaply down there with chicory.
    Easy big fella!!!! There's only so much chicory bashing I will stand for!!!!

Gregg the $7 coffee line is priceless

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Easy big fella!!!! There's only so much chicory bashing I will stand for!!!!
      Well, it's better and less expensive than Starbucks.

So it has that going for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
        Just less damaging than admitting that particular location isn't as profitable as others. That's why big franchises close locations. $7 for a cup of coffee is the most obvious crime going on at Canal and St. Charles.
        Welcome back

Comment

New Orleans becomes murder capital of America, overtaking St. Louis

Sorry Gregg but apparently $7.00 coffee is not the biggest crime down there. The above is a headline from articles in national newspapers.
          Last edited by 20/20; 09-18-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Sucks, but my day to day concerns about being a victim of crime in this city does not include being murdered. Hell, I can't even get mugged.

Comment

Sucks, but my day to day concerns about being a victim of crime in this city does not include being murdered. Hell, I can't even get mugged.
              I am back in my second home tomorrow and the carjackings certainly concern me.

But no one takes too much notice of the old long haired bloke on the pushie.

We do try to be far more vigilant when we are getting in and out of Lisas car though.

And I definitely try to keep my wits about me, when I am waiting to get the streetcar home late at night.

Comment

Got Ya. In no way was that a personal attack. It's not like we are close friends but when we meet we seem to get along pretty well. It's both a city and a national problem. It can be corrected or at least improved but not by ignoring the issue. Or by pretending that there aren't any jerks out there. You walk the streets. I do too. I'm not particularly tough but I don't back down and I have sure as heck been in a couple of fights. It disappoints me to see a city that I enjoy so much go down this path.

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

Got Ya. In no way was that a personal attack. It's not like we are close friends but when we meet we seem to get along pretty well. It's both a city and a national problem. It can be corrected or at least improved but not by ignoring the issue. Or by pretending that there aren't any jerks out there. You walk the streets. I do too. I'm not particularly tough but I don't back down and I have sure as heck been in a couple of fights. It disappoints me to see a city that I enjoy so much go down this path.
                  This city has been unsafe for decades. It has gone from bad to worse and back to bad since the 80s. Before the pandemic they had brought the murder rate down for 3 straight years with 2019 being the lowest sine 1971 and but these last 2 years have been a bloodbath down here plus the carjacking explosion which seems to happen all over the city. I've never been scared living here but I definitely find myself not going out as much at night and try not to put myself in situations where I'm a target. I also have never had a car here which as crazy as it sounds makes me feel safer.

Comment

I can't get car jacked either. And I have a Kia !!!

Comment

I can't get car jacked either. And I have a Kia !!!

What was the song?

"Ooh That Smell"

Slightly different subject matter though.

Comment

20/20. Ignoring or pretending are not an option at ground zero. You point and click from a posh pad on the NC Coast. When I finally get mugged, you'll be the first to know.

Comment

Been in NOLA for a hot and busy week, mainly doing prep work before a remodeling project that has taken us all over town in my thus far unjacked Subaru. The much better half and I have crossed the mighty river for some eats and a little music a couple of times, including a few surprisingly enjoyable ventures onto Frenchman Street. We have walked back to the ferry in the evenings and had no problems. I got a text from a good friend in New Jersey yesterday saying he was watching something on the news about how bad the crime is in New Orleans and he was wondering if we were all right. Yep. We are. Rough economic times usually coincide with increases in crime. We need more police and we need better leadership. I don't know how responsible our mayor is for this, but I know how unpopular she seems to be down here. The most recent Gambit has a brief, informative and objective article about the complaints residents have with her and the complaints she has with them. Signing off from Algiers Point and banana tree free for eight years.
                          Last edited by Kemp; 09-20-2022, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Just got back from a week in Chicago. Crime, crime, crime....all over the news. And LaToya makes Nagin look good... she's THAT bad !!! She gives 'first class' a bad name.

Comment

Just got back from a week in Chicago. Crime, crime, crime....all over the news. And LaToya makes Nagin look good... she's THAT bad !!! She gives 'first class' a bad name.
                              Glad that you survived. I used to visit "The Windy City" regularly. Same with NYC, but the down to earth vibe in Chicago and the GOOD Food , large portions and great prices because everyone's grandparents raised beef and produce and everyone knew what THEY were getting paid made the city fun. The projects in the South Side were always an issue but it has just gone crazy. Really, Really crazy. It's the real violence capital, New Orleans came in first because of the "per capita" numbers but whoo whee Chicago. Tough stuff up there.

Comment

Meanwhile in City Park:

At around 7 a.m. Monday, Manning Krull was taking his customary morning walk through City Park when he saw something "really freaky" — what appeared to be an unconscious or dead person flanked by police as an ambulance pulled up in the 5900 block of Marconi Drive.

"I couldn't see their gender or their face, and I didn't see anything that looked like blood," he said. "It just looked like a person lying there in a folded-up position. ... It was very disturbing, to the point that I didn't tell my wife."

As Lakeview and City Park-area residents commuted to work, reports of the disturbing sight made their way to 911 and social media. "I saw it while bringing my kid to school. Horrifying," one poster wrote on Nextdoor. "God have mercy on the poor victim," wrote another.

Another resident posted that it appeared to be woman in a red and white dress, with white shoes, lying motionless just south of the tennis center.

But the figure that alarmed them wasn't a crime victim. It was a mannequin someone had thrown by the side of the road, according to City Park police.
                                nola.com/news/crime_police/article_049a9ea8-3861-11ed-b815-1738daf94c36.html
                                Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X