Crime in New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 20/20 View Post
    I know that it would be of no particular solace to the dedicated Saints fans but here and now during the Saints hopefully temporary downturn, perhaps a way of easing their pains might be to have a slight shift of focus. Sure the Saints are struggling a bit but New Orleans is now the murder capitol of the United States and by some studies the world. That deserves some recognition. What about the citizens rallying around that achievement? Banners and chants "We're Number One" "We're Number One"around the town. Crowds screaming "Who Dat Who Dat gonna kill a Saints fan?" or something similar. Just a thought.
    You seem delighted that New Orleans suffers from its current crime spree. I can’t understand that. Do you hate the city that so many of us love despite its many problems? Please explain yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post
      Speaking of Crime.

The dangerous criminality of the fucking turds running red lights all across town is frightening and seems to have got worse in only 4 months.

Bring back the Red light cameras and fine the shit out of these fuckwits.

We witnessed several very dangerous incidents today and a couple of years back my partners car got destroyed by someone running a red light, and she was lucky not to be very badly hurt, and is still battling the effects of that stack.

The only way to solve the problem is to hit these turds in the hip pocket, before they hit an innocent person.
      Gards, you're not wrong we've never seen so many people run red lights as they do here... Barry says that most folks here take red lights as a 'suggestion' to stop, not like it's a law or anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Nancy10016 View Post

Gards, you're not wrong we've never seen so many people run red lights as they do here... Barry says that most folks here take red lights as a 'suggestion' to stop, not like it's a law or anything!
        I read that some people are running them because they are afraid of carjackings if they stop. I doubt a cop or a judge would buy that. I drove all through largely unfamiliar territory (for me) in Marigny a couple of weeks ago, and, perhaps stupidly, gave little thought to carjackings and had no problems. Be smart. Look around.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

I read that some people are running them because they are afraid of carjackings if they stop. I doubt a cop or a judge would buy that. I drove all through largely unfamiliar territory (for me) in Marigny a couple of weeks ago, and, perhaps stupidly, gave little thought to carjackings and had no problems. Be smart. Look around.
          FWIW, from news accounts, it seems like most of the recent carjackings in NOLA happen to people sitting in parked cars, or standing nearby (though if you're outside the vehicle, that doesn't get counted in the official carjacking stats).

Cases where the vehicle is stopped for a light, or forced to stop, seem very rare.
          Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post

FWIW, from news accounts, it seems like most of the recent carjackings in NOLA happen to people sitting in parked cars, or standing nearby (though if you're outside the vehicle, that doesn't get counted in the official carjacking stats).

Cases where the vehicle is stopped for a light, or forced to stop, seem very rare.
            Yeah. I thought the "avoiding carjacking" reason for not stopping at a red light was a pretty flimsy excuse. I was in a United Cab once who did only brief stops or just slowed down before running every red light we encountered. He also drove like a maniac, speeding, dangerous passing. I asked him if the cops turned their heads to the cabs. He said, "Our company uses the same judge for all our tickets. Unless it's something really bad like a wreck, a DUI or we hit somebody, there ain't much a hundred bucks won't take care of." I try to avoid driving in NOLA. That city has some of the nicest people in the world, but many of them go Jekyll and Hyde behind the wheel
            Last edited by Kemp; 09-29-2022, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I try to avoid driving in NOLA. That city has some of the nicest people in the world, but many of them go Jekyll and Hyde behind the wheel
              We've been getting a car when we go for Fest. I've actually not found things to be too bad, although this is certainly a limited sample compared to folks who live there. I tend to drive conservatively when in cities these days. And I'm always watching out for what "the other guy" might pull. Definitely not a guarantee of safe passage, but it helps

Cheers.

Comment

I was about to say the same thing then I saw your post. Drivers do not want to stop because of what may happen; robbery, car jacking, shot at. It all happens on a daily basis here.

Comment

The driving in New Orleans is no different than the driving around Philly. It has never effected me for this reason. Both are bad, dangerous, and lawless.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                    The driving in New Orleans is no different than the driving around Philly. It has never effected me for this reason. Both are bad, dangerous, and lawless.
                    Don’t know if you noticed but Philadelphia just logged the 2000th carjacking for this year! Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

I was about to say the same thing then I saw your post. Drivers do not want to stop because of what may happen; robbery, car jacking, shot at. It all happens on a daily basis here.
                      We have been driving from Uptown to near Gentilly Terrace lots in recent times and the many idiots that we have seen running Red lights on Broad and other main street at significant speed are not concerned about Car Jackings I can assure you of that.

We also see it happen all the time on Napoleon which is not a shooting alley like portions of the I 10 have been.

We have seen dozens of cases and these cars were flying and the drivers just did want to slow down, and be marginally delayed.

These people are impatient fools who are too stupid to care about the consequences of their actions.

I have worked in Jo Burg in South Africa where the official advice was in some areas, to not stop at an intersection or at a Red Light or Stop sign if people were gathering in numbers nearby, but slowly move through. Certainly not burn through in a middle lane on a main road at over 50 miles an hour when there are no people nearby.

Nancy lives out near where we are staying and would travel many of the same roads that we have been recently, hence why she knows where I am coming from.

Comment

I am posting this not so much because of it's "crime nature" per se, it just caught my attention because of latest victims history. Must have been an interesting young man. It was in todays Times-Picayune.

With two months remaining in 2022, New Orleans has logged its 221st murder of the year, tying the total for all of 2021.

The Orleans Parish coroner's office on Thursday identified the latest victim as Taivon Aples, 30, saying he died Tuesday of wounds from an Oct. 5 shooting in the B.W. Cooper area. Police said Aples and a woman were standing on a sidewalk in the 3500 block of Thalia Street when armed individuals approached and opened fire, hitting them both.

Police have not announced any arrests or named any suspects, nor provided an update on the woman's condition.

It wasn't the first time Aples had been shot. In 2019, Tulane University police officers shot him in the abdomen while trying to arrest him on a charge of forcing a Tulane employee to watch him masturbate on campus two weeks earlier. They booked him with aggravated assault upon police, resisting an officer with force and obscenity. The disposition of those charges could not be determined Thursday.

As a 15-year-old, Aples was charged with second-degree murder in the Jan. 12, 2008, shooting of Gervais Nicholas, 16, outside a Tulane Avenue nightclub. Aples was charged as an adult, pleaded guilty in 2012 to being an accessory to murder and was sentenced to the time he had already served in custody while awaiting resolution of the case.

Comment

Working...
                        X