Other Festivals 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by belyin View Post

A little bit disappointed they are giving so much space to John Zorn when he was all over the place just last year with what for me was a mixed bag of results. (I did think the Masada Quartet was outstanding.) And of the musicians listed above, I have heard almost all of them multiple times, but most I want to hear again. Still, the real value of a festival like Big Ears is getting a chance to hear what you know absolutely nothing about, and it looks like there will plenty here for me to dig into.
    I was surprised to see Zorn featured again; I only saw the Brian Marsella trio last year, but it was actually good. I'm happy to have the opportunity to see most of the jazz artists I listed. Plus there are always substantial additions to the lineup after the first announcement. And always worthy new discoveries to be heard.

Comment

Originally posted by belyin View Post

A little bit disappointed they are giving so much space to John Zorn when he was all over the place just last year with what for me was a mixed bag of results. (I did think the Masada Quartet was outstanding.) And of the musicians listed above, I have heard almost all of them multiple times, but most I want to hear again. Still, the real value of a festival like Big Ears is getting a chance to hear what you know absolutely nothing about, and it looks like there will plenty here for me to dig into.
      Agreed, I can only take so much of Zorn. I see Marc Ribot is resurrecting his Los Cubanos Postizos​ band which I love. Saw them many times back in the late 90s/early 00s in NYC.

Plenty of great jazz and improv music but also artists that I love like Sierra Ferrell, Los Lobos, Calexico, Vinicius Cantuária​, Allison Russell, Terry Allen and many others.

I hope that I can get up there next year but not the easiest place to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by jjazznj View Post

Agreed, I can only take so much of Zorn.

I hope that I can get up there next year but not the easiest place to get to.

Well, up to 1969 we could have taken the Southern Railways deluxe Pelican train. Now driving seems to be the only option but not too practical if you are trying to shoehorn the trip into you workweek. Flying is ridiculously expensive (well over $400.)

Zorn has always struck me as an egomaniac. Last year at Big Ears his name was listed first on several gigs he didn't even play on. And years ago I was annoyed at seeing him crouch down between the music stands of the Masada Trio (Mark Feldman, Eric Frielander, Greg Cohen) to "conduct"—never saw a trio need a conductor before. But I will say his hand signal conducting while playing in his Masada Quartet last year at B.E. was absolutely brilliant.

Comment

[QUOTE=belyin;n872123]

Well, up to 1969 we could have taken the Southern Railways deluxe Pelican train. Now driving seems to be the only option but not too practical if you are trying to shoehorn the trip into you workweek. Flying is ridiculously expensive (well over $400.)

Just checked flights from Houston. nonstop round trip to Knoxville $382.

Comment

There are only three nonstop flights a day from Dallas to Knoxville; currently $620.

Comment

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
              The Big Ears Festival in Knoxville, Tennessee is March 30-April 2, 2023. My hotel and plane ticket are booked. Waiting with eager anticipation.
              Just bought my pass and booked a room. Had a great time last year . . .

Comment

Also bought my pass yesterday. Now, to wait 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                  Michael Arnone shared on FB (public post) that his Crawfish Fest in NJ has lost its home, and he's looking for a new venue.
                  Always had a great time at CFF. Any update on dates or location?

Comment

Not familiar with the young jazz saxophonist Zoh Amba, but she is appearing at Big Ears (with Thomas Morgan and Tyshawn Sorry): https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/26/a...ba-bhakti.html

Comment

fyiimage.png

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
                        fyiimage.png
                        Killer fest, but where exactly does one stay if you don’t already have digs at Northstar?

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post

Wish I didn't have to work during Porchfest--but we will be at Sea Hear Now!
                          Forgot to post our Sea Hear Now Review

Comment

There have been some nice additions to the Big Ears Festival lineup, so that my personal list of artists of interest is:

Africa: Bassekou Kouyate, Etrain de L'Air, Amadou and Miriam, Sona Jobarteh
                            Brazil: Vinicius Cantuaria
                            Jazz: Bill Frisell, Mary Halvorson, Vijay Iyer, Charles Lloyd, Joe Lovano, Christian McBride, Makaya McCraven, William Parker, Marc Ribot, Antonio Sanchez, Tarbaby with David Murray, Tyshawn Sorey, James Blood Ulmer, Brandee Younger, Zoh Amba, Sun Ra Arkestra, James Brandon Lewis, Theon Cross, Javon Jackson, and Anthony Coleman.
                            Last edited by kh1958; 11-17-2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by swag View Post
                              Michael Arnone shared on FB (public post) that his Crawfish Fest in NJ has lost its home, and he's looking for a new venue.
                              Any updates on this ?

Comment

Originally posted by Manatee View Post

Any updates on this ?
                                Damn, I finally made it to this fest last 2 times and LOVED IT!!! Hope he can make it happen, that's a real shame. Perfect venue.

Comment

Working...
                                X