Unrequited Infatuations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrequited Infatuations

Anyone else read this tome by Stevie Van Zandt? Really enjoying his personal journey and extensive knowledge of the history of rock and soul music. Along with his admission of committing one of the worst career decisions ever in leaving the E Street Band. And the same guy creating both the "Little Steven's Underground Garage" and "Outlaw Country" channels on XM Sirius along with playing a role on "The Sopranos" and the lead in "Lillyhammer". Quite a ride...

At the time it was a foregone conclusion that he'd leave the E Street Band, his first 2 solo albums were so good but then he changed his sound, got more political and the great songs stopped coming and his solo career went nowhere. I saw him a couple of times back then and was so disappointed. I wanted to hear that Asbury Park sound that he was a major part of and instead it was some rock/world hybrid. Meanwhile Bruce turned into a huge rock star with Born In The USA and toured all over the world but then he got disillusioned by how big he'd become. Luckily Steve came back into the fold when Bruce put the band back together in the late 90s. He's one of a kind!

Comment

Steve Van Zandt's commentaries on Underground Garage are one of the highlights of having a subscription. He's entertaining, insightful, intelligent and funny as hell. If the book is anything like those commentaries, I'm finding a copy. I'm one of the few people who have probably never seen The Sopranos, but I will eventually get around to it. Lillyhammer was a great streaming experience.

Comment

Very good and insightful read. I've been listening to Underground Garage since before Sirius and really appreciate how deeply he understands the essence of most of the music that I love at the most fundamental level. He does a great job conveying that in this book, and it's even better if you can "hear" it in his voice as you read it, because it it is definitely written the way that he speaks.

Minor criticisms, but I could have done without all the details and braggadocio about his sexual exploits, and he does still have a lot of obvious sour grapes about not getting his due recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Lit View Post

Minor criticisms, but I could have done without all the details and braggadocio about his sexual exploits, and he does still have a lot of obvious sour grapes about not getting his due recognition.
          I'm almost finished with the audiobook.
          I have no problems with the bragging about the sexual exploits, but it seems like he's taking credit for everything except the invention of the wheel (having said that, I still have several chapters to go, so that could still happen).
          I'm alternating between being very entertained and being annoyed by him.....

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

Your Husband?

Comment

Originally posted by CEfromLA View Post

I'm almost finished with the audiobook.
              I have no problems with the bragging about the sexual exploits, but it seems like he's taking credit for everything except the invention of the wheel (having said that, I still have several chapters to go, so that could still happen).
              Lol. He should tour with Buddy Guy.

Comment

I listened to the audiobook--I really enjoy hearing an autobiography read by the author. Loved it (but i was addicted to the Underground Garage from its first week on terrestrial radio). He didn't invent the wheel, but did start a bunch of cool stuff. I wonder, are we the only ones here who attended the one-time only Underground Garage Festival in 2004? What a day! (He lost a lot of money on it).

Comment

Originally posted by The Krewe of Chew View Post
                  I listened to the audiobook--I really enjoy hearing an autobiography read by the author. Loved it (but i was addicted to the Underground Garage from its first week on terrestrial radio). He didn't invent the wheel, but did start a bunch of cool stuff. I wonder, are we the only ones here who attended the one-time only Underground Garage Festival in 2004? What a day! (He lost a lot of money on it).
                  Where was that and who played? Sounds like something I would have liked . Van Zandt is "bigly" involved in the Outlaw Country Cruise which seems to be prospering.
                  Last edited by Kemp; 09-11-2022, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemp View Post

Where was that and who played? Sounds like something I would have liked Van Zandt is "bigly" involved in the Outlaw Country Cruise which seems to be prospering.
                    The Underground Garage festival was on Randall's Island in NYC. These are the acts that played:

Iggy and the Stooges, the New York Dolls, the Strokes, the Pretty Things, Nancy Sinatra, Bo Diddley, the Dictators, Big Star, the Romantics, the Pete Best Band, the Mooney Suzuki, the D4, the Paybacks, the Forty-Fives, the Raveonettes, the Pete Best Band, the Chesterfield Kings, the Creation, the Chocolate Watchband, the Fuzztones, the Electric Prunes, the Lyres, the Woggles, the Charms, the Boss Martians, the Stems, the Shazam, the Cynics, the Flaming Sideburns, Richard and the Young Lions, the Cocktail Slippers, the Fleshtones, the Blackouts, Jarvis Humby, the Singles, the Contrast, the Fondas, the High Dials, the Caesars, the Swingin' Neckbreakers, the Gore Gore Girls, Muck and the Mires, the Star Spangles, the Chains, Davie Allan and the Arrows, the Sexy Magazines.

This was all in one day, on one stage. They had a great plan: the stage revolved, so while one band played (with go go dancers on risers behind them), they set up for the next act on the other side. The band would play their last song & wave goodbye as the stage turned and revealed the next band. It very so good--until the stage broke and stopped revolving after about 3 bands.

There was no way to keep up the schedule after that without cutting everyone's sets down to like 10 minutes. Then they had to set up the next band. it was insane! But the amount of talent that played was incredible. By the end of the day, they were finally caught up on time and the headliners were going to be able to play full sets. Then a hurricane was approaching & they had to cut the last couple short. What a day it was--seems like a dream.

The whole thing was filmed by Chris Columbus (I think in 3d) & they were going to make a movie. I always thought they ran out of money to make it. But according to Steven's book someone stole the film. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                    X