Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jan Ramsey of Offbeat Magazine needs help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan Ramsey of Offbeat Magazine needs help!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jan-ramse...ine-needs-help

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...f72e4e718.html

WVUE https://www.fox8live.com/2022/09/07/...e-lung-cancer/

New Orleans music champion, Offbeat Magazine publisher Jan Ramsey battling rare lung cancer

​Jan Ramsey, who for more than 30 years has championed the New Orleans music scene as publisher and editor-in-chief of Offbeat Magazine, has been diagnosed with a rare form of lung cancer and is undergoing treatment, according to a friend and supporter.

“She was diagnosed with a rare type of lung cancer,” filmmaker Michael Murphy wrote in a fundraising campaign launched on gofundme.com. “Jan will be undergoing treatment to battle the disease and needs financial help. Please donate to help Jan and her husband afford the medical costs and family living costs during this difficult time.”

The campaign launched Aug. 26 and has raised more than $14,000 toward its target goal of $150,000.

Offbeat Magazine has been a strenuous labor of love for Ramsey, 71, who has advocated fiercely for the city’s musical and cultural scene through the pages of its printed magazine and later its website.

“During the entire time I have known her, Jan’s passion has been to tell the world about the culture and music of New Orleans,” Murphy wrote. “She has been a friend to musicians, artists, music clubs and all culture bearers of New Orleans.”

Ramsey’s “Mojo Mouth” essays are required reading for those wanting to keep their finger on the pulse of New Orleans music happenings or to enjoy the musings of the New Orleans native. And Ramsey’s annual fan-voted awards celebration -- The Best of The Beat awards -- has become something akin to a local version of the Grammy awards.

Ramsey has self-described herself as “a (former) good Catholic girl” who is “most turned on by making sure music is in the forefront of the minds of everyone who lives here or wishes they live here.”

I'm in. And in the immortal words of Joey Ramone, "If you're not in it, you're out of it."

Comment

I am in.

Good luck to Jan

Comment

image.png
        JRB​

Comment

Originally posted by ztulane View Post
          image.png
          JRB​
          Looks interesting and I will try to be there.

It is a short stroll away from where my other half resides, so that is a bonus.

I wonder what they will do for Tucker?

Comment

Black Laurel will be part of the benefit being put together by Michael Patrick Welch on October 23rd at his restaurant 'Besides the Point' in Algiers ( 3211 General Meyer ). Also appearing will be Helen Gillet, CC Adcock, Clint Maedgen, N.O. Guitar Masters, Ratty Scurvics, Miss Sophie Lee and a few others. Hope to see a few Threadheads on the Westbank. Starts at 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
              Black Laurel will be part of the benefit being put together by Michael Patrick Welch on October 23rd at his restaurant 'Besides the Point' in Algiers ( 3211 General Meyer ). Also appearing will be Helen Gillet, CC Adcock, Clint Maedgen, N.O. Guitar Masters, Ratty Scurvics, Miss Sophie Lee and a few others. Hope to see a few Threadheads on the Westbank. Starts at 4.
              Thanks for posting. I was trying to locate a link for this show, but couldn't find one By the way, folks, this is a pretty unique little restaurant and he often has some interesting music booked. This benefit is an example. The food is good, too. Not in an area where many Threadheads have ever thread, but worth a trip for the adventurous. I wish that I could make the benefit, but won't be around for that. Do intend to help Jan out though.

Comment

I am in on the gofundme campaign. We have subscribed to OffBeat for years as one of our lifelines/connections with New Orleans, and have always appreciated Jan Ramsey's tireless advocacy for the musicians of Louisiana.

Comment

They picked the perfect Sunday for that benefit as The Saints play The Vikes at 830am CT in London.

Comment

Any benefits planned around CCBBQ weekend (we'll be in town then)?

Comment

Originally posted by fesstgeek View Post
                      Any benefits planned around CCBBQ weekend (we'll be in town then)?
                      Not that I have heard of.

It was a great day and early evening for us at the Tips Jan fund raiser last Sunday with some excellent music by a varied bunch of musicians.

But I must say that factoring in the very pleasant weather, that there could have and should have been more people there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

It was a great day and early evening for us at the Tips Jan fund raiser last Sunday with some excellent music by a varied bunch of musicians.

But I must say that factoring in the very pleasant weather, that there could have and should have been more people there.
                        Agreed. I actually saw you there Gards, but was on my way out already. I was only there from about 3.30-4.30, so I was hoping that more people had been dropping in and out throughout the day, like i had, for a better total number of attendees/donations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gards View Post

Jeeezzz. If that lineup at Tips with great weather doesn't bring a crowd, I wonder how the one on the 23rd will do. I'll be there

Comment

Originally posted by HankAndLeeStamper View Post

Agreed. I actually saw you there Gards, but was on my way out already. I was only there from about 3.30-4.30, so I was hoping that more people had been dropping in and out throughout the day, like i had, for a better total number of attendees/donations.
                            Y, I went over to Tips right after the Saints game, but was heading home by 2:30 (with the 8:30 kickoff, it was already a long day).
                            Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post

Jeeezzz. If that lineup at Tips with great weather doesn't bring a crowd, I wonder how the one on the 23rd will do. I'll be there
                              We left as it was starting to get dark as we had the dog with us, so I hope that a few more turned up after that.

Gumbo was in good form by then, and said something like.

"Gards if they had some London Jazz going on, so more people would be here"

Perhaps he was confused because the Saints had played in London?

Comment

Working...
                              X