AmericanaFest 2022?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kh1958 View Post
    Taking a look at the lineup, I heard Kaia Kater earlier this year and she is fantastic.

Kaia Kater
    Thanks! I just signed up for her email just in case she comes to Texas.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait Did someone say Brandi Carlile?

Brandi Carlile Presents: Northern Lights

Thursday, September 15, 12:00PM - 2:00PM

City Winery

Northern Lights Music and UMG Music present Sean McConnell, Ashley Ray and some very special guests in an intimate guitar round. Hosted by Brandi Carlile.

Ashley Ray

Brandi Carlile

Sean McConnell

Comment

I had to check, $578 nonstop United.

Might have to ask the wife for a yard leave pass for the week.
        If not 2023 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic) View Post
          I guess you need a Conference Pass to see the Indigo Girls.
          Yes, but Amy Ray will be appearing at the WMOT Day Stage - which doesn't require a Conference Registration.​

Comment

Originally posted by duende View Post
            If you don't get out much, or maybe watch a lot of Billy Strings videos, check Trey Hensley with Rob Ickes (Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two guitar pickers in Nashville, and they can pick more notes than the number of ants on a Tennessee ant hill). !​
            Trey Hensley with Rob Ickes was some smokin' hot playing at Red Wingfest this year

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post

Yes, but Amy Ray will be appearing at the WMOT Day Stage - which doesn't require a Conference Registration.​
              Have you ever not been able to get into a venue due to crowds?

Also, any other advice for doing Americana?
              Sure looks like a bike would help.
              Fingers crossed for 2023. Might try to bring my folding bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post
                ​I'll be driving in from Bristol TN tomorrow p.m, see you Tuesday!
                How was Rhythm and Roots?

Comment

see below
                  Last edited by fichadelphia; 09-12-2022, 03:24 PM. Reason: deleted

Comment

Have you ever not been able to get into a venue due to crowds?

Also, any other advice for doing Americana?
                    Short answer "No". However I think this year there are at least 4 or 5 shows that might be too popular and not everyone that wants to, will get in. The Levon Helm tribute is one I'm particularly excercised about, but the Molly Tuttle & Sierra Ferrell shows will also be in very high demand. There are quite a few new venues this year, as three very useful & popular ones are no longer available (cannery complex) so it will be interesting to see how it all works out.

Edit to add that the Brandi Carlile event is also bound to be a huge draw.
                    Last edited by Canine Horror; 09-12-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

How was Rhythm and Roots?
                      Fabulous! Its such an easy fest (once you get there) and as this was my second time, I felt much more comfortable. One caveat is that with almost all the stages outdoors, the weather has to be co-operative and we were very lucky that the Saturday weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted. Heavy rain all morning stopped around 2-30 and thereafter it stayed dry with none of the forecast thunderstorms.
                      Highlights: Tanya Tucker, Del McCoury, John R Miller, Margo Cilker, S.G Goodman, Wood Brothers, J J Grey.
                      Gonna try and do it again next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Canine Horror View Post

Fabulous! Its such an easy fest (once you get there) and as this was my second time, I felt much more comfortable. One caveat is that with almost all the stages outdoors, the weather has to be co-operative and we were very lucky that the Saturday weather was nowhere near as bad as predicted. Heavy rain all morning stopped around 2-30 and thereafter it stayed dry with none of the forecast thunderstorms.
                        Highlights: Tanya Tucker, Del McCoury, John R Miller, Margo Cilker, S.G Goodman, Wood Brothers, J J Grey.
                        Gonna try and do it again next year.
                        My goal for next year is to join you for Roots and Americana.
                        Any insider info on "how to do" Americana from you and Nicole would be helpful.
                        Thanks for the update.

fyi:
                        If your still in the neighborhood Oct. 8-9. This festival lineup has my name on it.
                        90 minutes from Nashville.

CaveFest at The Caverns, October 8 & 9, 2022 - The Caverns

Join us for CaveFest at The Caverns, October 8 & 9 - YouTube
                        Last edited by Fred (Texas JF Fanatic); 09-12-2022, 12:55 PM. Reason: Added video

Comment

Fred, Unfortunately I assembled some tips and stuff and posted it but then edited a typo and it got flagged as spam. Hopefully one of the moderators will free it from spam-jail soon. If not, I'll follow up.

Ok- edit to add, I didn't realize I could copy and paste from my post awaiting moderation. So mods: that can probably be deleted. Thanks!

Yes-ish? I think I typically avoid the super high RSVP events but I will say that the organizers typically do a good enough job of scheduling big draws in big spaces. Sometimes someone super hot will be in a small space and that can be problematic. Some of the daytime parties get crowded - Marc and I made some new friends at Robert's Western World one year during the Mojo Nixon Review because it was beyond packed (but totally worth it). And I know some folks had difficulty getting into daytime events last year.

The bike wouldn't hurt. You definitely need a game plan regarding which area of the city you want to be in, and when. Here's a couple more random notes cobbled together from other conversations:

In previous years the evening showcases were concentrated at the Cannery Complex- a complex of three venues under one roof. That is no more so it will be interesting to see how people spread out among the venues. It will also be interesting to see how this affects rideshare availability and pricing - last year we ended up making friends and sharing cars with other fans on more than one occasion. Everything runs very professionally and on time (unlike new orleans).

If you're able to make it, the show at the Basement East on Tuesday night is always really great- they'll be all sorts of random artists that drop by to sing a tune. It's a great way to start the trip and there's a bunch of good restaurants nearby. These sort of review style shows are something that AmericanaFest does extraordinarily well - the Stones one Tuesday night will be great. There's another show like this on Friday night centered around songs from 1972. Its a great way to hear many many artists all in one place.

The 6th & Peabody stage is actually the stage inside the Yee Haw Brewing/Ole Smokey Moonshine complex. There's a few food vendors inside there as well. The Station Inn is a legendary bluegrass Nashville venue but it is mainly seated and they sell junk food like nachos and popcorn(?). 3rd & Lindsley is a totally weird venue- lots of tables and seats with some standing room. They also have a restaurant menu. Exit/In has a food stand attached to the venue. The daytime parties are often at hotel bars or restaurants and are often very nicely presented in comfortable environs. The 5 Spot has a nice divvy feel but gets crowded quickly.

The daytime stuff is really what I love most about this festival. The Pure Memphis Happy Hour is always a favorite - the music is great and there's usually complimentary drinks. The same for the Fort Worth event- last year they had complimentary whiskey tasting, snacks, and a cool stand screen pressing shirts and bags. The California Country Show is excellent but it will be open to the public and will get busy. I'm looking forward to hopefully checking out the Montana showcase too. Robert's Western World is the coolest venue in Nashville and there'll be two Americana events there: one is friday afternoon and the other has no details and is wednesday night after the awards show. Marc and I think some star power from the show will end up there. So that might be a special one. Same for Station Inn that night which has a TBD listed.
                          ​​
                          Last edited by fichadelphia; 09-12-2022, 01:08 PM. Reason: I'm dumb

Comment

Thanks Nicole!

I'm "sold" for next year Americana. Not sure about the weekend before for Roots.
                            Maybe a side trip to the Caverns before or after Americana.

This has been on my bucket list for several years.
                            Taking detail notes from your post.

Hope everyone reports back next week.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for all of the advice. Off to Nashville.

Duende and Larry... Hensley and Ickes sound fantastic to my ears. Definitely want to catch them.

Nicole and Marc, hope to see you both this week.

Fred, you get around my friend. Keep on keepin' on!

Comment

I believe I forgot to recommend Joshua Hedley - he put out 2 of my favorite albums in the last few years, Call Me Mr Jukebox is just my kind of country. He’ll be at Robert’s all week:
                                (from his Twitter feed)
                                AMERICANA FEST SCHEDULE!!!

Monday - @RobertsWWorld 10pm - 2am
                                Tuesday - @ajsgoodtimebar 10pm - 2am
                                Wednesday - Robert’s AMA Afterparty 10pm
                                Thursday - Robert’s AMA/SiriusXM - 2pm
                                Friday - Robert’s 11am - 2pm
                                Saturday - @3rdandLindsley 11pm (doors at 5)​

And between lodging, tickets & airfare for Hangtown Halloween Fest & Hardly Strictly (we can drive to both & one’s “free”), SXSW & Jazzfest, I’m already feeling, as the man says “ba-ba-ba-ba-broke again” lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X