Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"New" music in NOLA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "New" music in NOLA

    In another thread, someone commented "I just get tired of seeing the same old bands at the same old places, which seems to be a Threadhead ritual."

    So I figured this was worthy of its own thread.

    Who are the new performers playing around town that you recommend? I guess you can define "new" for yourself, but for me, I'd say it's someone who plays locally now and wasn't performing (or rarely performing) here before the pandemic, or maybe someone who you just weren't aware of.

    I'll start by throwing out two.

    Layla Musselwhite moved to NOLA recently. She's the daughter of harmonica legend Charlie Musselwhite. She sings and plays acoustic guitar, in a style that ranges from old school blues to singer/songwriter. Upcoming shows include tonight at the Constantinople Stage and Oct 15 at the Blues & BBQ Fest.
    https://www.laylamusselwhite.com/shows

    Mahmoud Chouki moved to NOLA in 2017, but I first heard him within the last year or two. Originally from Morocco, one bio describes him as an "international master guitarist, composer, artistic director and multi instrumentalist. His performances and compositions consist of music from around the globe fusing oriental and occidental ethnic and electric style of music. He leans especially towards flamenco, jazz, and oriental styled music". Definitely a different sort of sound. I've only seen him online, but hope to catch him live either tonight at Zony or Sunday at Broadside.

    Who are your favorite new bands?
    Last edited by swag; 09-23-2022, 05:15 PM.
    Visit my Jazzfest advice site: http://jazzfest.swagland.com/

  • #2
    Great thread, Swag.

    For those who like to rock, check out Green Gasoline.

    Comment


    • #3
      There have always been interesting (or at least talented) musicians arriving on the scene, but over the past 20 years as tourism has increasingly dominated the market too many club owners have turned their backs on originality in favor of the generic and the easy to book weekly gig. (When the audience is the same week after week you need to freshen up the offerings, but when the audience changes week to week the musicians can remain the same!) Fortunately small scale post-pandemic changes have improved the situation for new performers at least in the Downtown neighborhoods. The Saturn Bar and Siberia both now offer multi-bill and changing schedules that give younger performers a chance. Many (especially at Siberia) are in hard rock/punk styles that don't resonate with me anymore, but I am glad they are around. And since Scully has taken over BJ's Lounge they have been booking far more music -- geared toward their crowd and not tourists.

      Reed player Byron Asher has been in New Orleans at least 10 years, but in the past few he has developed a bunch of well thought-out and varied projects: Basher; Skrontch Music, Flaxan, Bigby, and Nutria. And he still does the occasional trio gig at Bacchanal so please check him and his fellow musicians out—this sort of ambition should be acknowledged and rewarded.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, BJ's has stepped it up with Scully taking over. Saw T Marie and Bayou Juju there recently. A 'new' band as far as I know. Cajun, if you couldn't have guessed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
          Yeah, BJ's has stepped it up with Scully taking over. Saw T Marie and Bayou Juju there recently. A 'new' band as far as I know. Cajun, if you couldn't have guessed.
          Thanks for the tip. I am a big Cajun fan. Not so much Zydeco, although that has it's place, I just lean towards the Cajun sounds.......and the two-stepping.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by swag View Post
            In another thread, it was commented " I just get tired of seeing the same old bands at the same old places, which seems to be a Threadhead ritual."

            So I figured this was worthy of its own thread.

            Who are the new performers playing around town that you recommend? I guess you can define "new" for yourself, but for me, I'd say it's someone who lives locally and wasn't performing (or rarely performing) before the pandemic, or maybe someone who you just weren't aware of.

            I'll start by throwing out two.

            Layla Musselwhite moved to NOLA recently. She's the daughter of harmonica legend Charlie Musselwhite. She sings and plays acoustic guitar, in a style that ranges from old school blues to singer/songwriter. Upcoming shows include tonight at the Constantinople Stage and Oct 15 at the Blues & BBQ Fest.
            https://www.laylamusselwhite.com/shows

            Mahmoud Chouki moved to NOLA in 2017, but I first heard him within the last year or two. Originally from Morocco, one bio describes him as an "international master guitarist, composer, artistic director and multi instrumentalist. His performances and compositions consist of music from around the globe fusing oriental and occidental ethnic and electric style of music. He leans especially towards flamenco, jazz, and oriental styled music". Definitely a different sort of sound. I've only seen him online, but hope to catch hom live either tonight at Zony or Sunday at Broadside.

            Who are your favorite new bands?
            I really enjoy watching Mahmoud Chouki play.

            Comment


            • #7
              What a great thread. I'm guilty of "...seeing the same old bands at the same old places, which seems to be a Threadhead ritual." For me, this is because some of these musicians have become personal friends, and it feels good to see and support them. Looking forward to learning about new artists.

              For me, I actually want to broaden the GENRE of music (and other arts) I go see. I almost got an LPO season subscription, until some personal family circumstances changed and I'm not able to go out as much. I'd love to see more theater (both Broadway touring shows and local stage productions). I know, off topic

              Comment


              • #8
                Lilli Lewis was “new to me” until about a month ago.
                highly recommend the cD “Americana” hoping to have an opinion on her live performance very soon.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I want to see Los Guiros again - they are a psychedelic Cumbria band that I saw at BJ’s. More of them please.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by swag View Post
                    In another thread, someone commented "I just get tired of seeing the same old bands at the same old places, which seems to be a Threadhead ritual."

                    So I figured this was worthy of its own thread.

                    Who are the new performers playing around town that you recommend? I guess you can define "new" for yourself, but for me, I'd say it's someone who plays locally now and wasn't performing (or rarely performing) here before the pandemic, or maybe someone who you just weren't aware of.

                    I'll start by throwing out two.

                    Layla Musselwhite moved to NOLA recently. She's the daughter of harmonica legend Charlie Musselwhite. She sings and plays acoustic guitar, in a style that ranges from old school blues to singer/songwriter. Upcoming shows include tonight at the Constantinople Stage and Oct 15 at the Blues & BBQ Fest.
                    https://www.laylamusselwhite.com/shows

                    Mahmoud Chouki moved to NOLA in 2017, but I first heard him within the last year or two. Originally from Morocco, one bio describes him as an "international master guitarist, composer, artistic director and multi instrumentalist. His performances and compositions consist of music from around the globe fusing oriental and occidental ethnic and electric style of music. He leans especially towards flamenco, jazz, and oriental styled music". Definitely a different sort of sound. I've only seen him online, but hope to catch him live either tonight at Zony or Sunday at Broadside.

                    Who are your favorite new bands?
                    Loved Mahmoud Chouki's Jazz Fest performance on the Lagniappe Stage this year. I hope he is invited next year.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                      I want to see Los Guiros again - they are a psychedelic Cumbria band that I saw at BJ’s. More of them please.
                      https://losguiros.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        https://youtu.be/iQm8dMUdeR
                        Green Gasoline. My buddy Chris Chaos making an appearance as the driver.
                        Last edited by Marignygregg; 09-24-2022, 02:01 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 20/20 View Post

                          Thanks for the tip. I am a big Cajun fan. Not so much Zydeco, although that has it's place, I just lean towards the Cajun sounds.......and the two-stepping.
                          Here ya go...

                          https://youtu.be/Tc03vAtA4p0

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                            Either this is the first all left-handed band I have ever seen or the image is reversed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
                              That is splendid. Thank you for posting. Just a touch and a hint but darn if I don't feel better.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X