X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Swift?

Tour dates just dropped and kinda fits?

Don't shoot the messenger.

I doubt it. That would be a major clusterfuck. She's almost too big for Jazz Fest, but too pop to have her own 'Rolling Stones Day'.

Comment

I don't see it either, but those dates do fit for 2nd Thurs or Fri

Comment

Originally posted by Marignygregg View Post
        I doubt it. That would be a major clusterfuck. She's almost too big for Jazz Fest, but too pop to have her own 'Rolling Stones Day'.
        I wouldn't rule out the latter -- is JF trying to get younger audiences and compete with Coachella and Lollapalooza? Not that I want them to, dear Lord, but is it in their long-range plan?

Comment

festbabe, both you and Marignygregg make excellent points. My first and most important thought/reply is this: I have said over and over that music is just so personal. I may run my mouth over many subjects but I try desperately to step aside when people are referencing musicians and music that they enjoy. Not for me to try and critique. When it comes to music, if it moves you then that is just the way that it is. We all came aboard the jazzfest train at different times. Most of us long for "the good old days" and that is all personal also. Who joined up and got seduced when?. It's big business now. Quint Davis is just another employee so to speak. He goes where he is told. We just have to adjust as best that we can. Some of us like it smaller and more intimate and then..........there are others. Pour another beer.

Comment

I can just see it now, thousands of teenage Swifties taking over the big stage. I guess there will be short beer lines. Could be worse than when Phishheads did the same back in the 90s.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Comment

Originally posted by festbabe View Post

I wouldn't rule out the latter -- is JF trying to get younger audiences and compete with Coachella and Lollapalooza? Not that I want them to, dear Lord, but is it in their long-range plan?
                She has a lot of 30s and 40s (and older) fans after the last few albums, which have gotten a lot of cross-the-board praise; and she generally skews older than say, Katy Perry. She really is one of the better youngish songwriters out there.

She is HUGE, however. In Boston she's playing the same stadium the Stones played, but she's playing it twice.

Comment

She's touring stadiums. There's no way she'd settle for festival $$. She'll sell as much merch at a single show as JF could pay her for a set.

Comment

Originally posted by Meters Fan View Post
                    She's touring stadiums. There's no way she'd settle for festival $$. She'll sell as much merch at a single show as JF could pay her for a set.
                    Dead & Co. are touring stadiums too, and so are a couple acts from last year (Chili Peppers, the Who). Bu they're not doing it with as much hoopla as TS is.
                    Last edited by BrettM; 11-02-2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

Dead & Co. are touring stadiums too, and so are a couple acts from last year (Chili Peppers, the Who). Bu they're not doing it was as much hoopla as TS is.
                      Girls just want to have fun

Comment

Originally posted by BrettM View Post

She has a lot of 30s and 40s (and older) fans after the last few albums, which have gotten a lot of cross-the-board praise; and she generally skews older than say, Katy Perry. She really is one of the better youngish songwriters out there.

She is HUGE, however. In Boston she's playing the same stadium the Stones played, but she's playing it twice.
                        I listened to those 2 albums thinking maybe I'd like them after reading how different they were. Nope, same old teenage voice with a different backdrop. She may write good songs but it's still her singing them. There are plenty of good songwriters out there. I see no way they'd get her for Jazz Fest although they did have Lorde and Katy Perry so who knows.

Comment

I have a few thoughts on this:
                          • I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of Taylor Swift- last night I was trying to name one of her songs but I couldn’t. I know her music is everywhere and I know that she has the respect of many as an established and talented songwriter. I’ll defer to some people whose opinions I trust. I’m not going to question Taylor Swift’s talent even if her music hasn’t been something I’ve been able to connect with.
                          • She is immensely popular- definitely one of the most popular musicians on the planet. If jazz fest is in the game of bringing in big talent, why not bring in Taylor?
                          • Some criticisms of Taylor Swift feel sexist to me. Just because many women and girls like her doesn’t mean that she isn’t a talented musician worthy of appearing on big stages among other musicians who are generally well regarded by older male listeners. Also, she isn’t a teenager. She’s 32 years old.
                          • if Taylor is at JF, it’ll be a blockbuster day. And probably a good weekend too. While she may not be my cup of tea (and who knows, maybe she is); I think she’d be a good addition.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                            • I wouldn’t say I’m a fan of Taylor Swift- last night I was trying to name one of her songs but I couldn’t. I know her music is everywhere and I know that she has the respect of many as an established and talented songwriter. I’ll defer to some people whose opinions I trust. I’m not going to question Taylor Swift’s talent even if her music hasn’t been something I’ve been able to connect with.
                            • She is immensely popular- definitely one of the most popular musicians on the planet. If jazz fest is in the game of bringing in big talent, why not bring in Taylor?
                            • Some criticisms of Taylor Swift feel sexist to me. Just because many women and girls like her doesn’t mean that she isn’t a talented musician worthy of appearing on big stages among other musicians who are generally well regarded by older male listeners. Also, she isn’t a teenager. She’s 32 years old.
                            • if Taylor is at JF, it’ll be a blockbuster day. And probably a good weekend too. While she may not be my cup of tea (and who knows, maybe she is); I think she’d be a good addition.
                            I have done stuff at many of Swifties shows over the years, and also could not name one of her songs.
                            But I have no kids, so I never hear the type of radio or whatever she is played on.

And I also did not hear a bad word about her, from any of the touring Krewe that I interacted with.

She has a devoted, very well behaved, largely female audience who probably would have a fun day out at Fest if it was to happen.

It would not worry me in the slightest if Taylor played Fest. Just as I was not concerned about K T Perry being there.

Comment

Originally posted by fichadelphia View Post
                              Agree on all counts. You could do far worse. I'm told Ye might need a gig. Don't he and Swiftie have some kind of Beyonce connection?

Comment

Working...
                              X